Monday, 17 March 2014

BBL’s essential makeup brushes

I’ve had a quick initiation to makeup brushes, and it’s only a couple of years ago that I was still using those little foam applicators (or fingers) to put on my eye shadow.

But I’ve found the right tools makes everyday looks, and something a bit fancier, much easier.

So here goes with what works for me...

Face

L-R RT buffing brush, MAC 168, RT powder brush.

These are the three brushes I use every day, without fail.


The buffing and powder brush are both Real Techniques, the range developed by Pixiwoo’s Samantha Chapman.

They’re both synthetic fibre, great value for money – they’re regularly on 3 for 2 in Boots – and wash really well.

The flat top on the buffing brush is fantastic for working everything from BB cream or tinted moisturiser to heavy duty foundation into the skin.

The MAC blusher brush is one of my all-time favourites.  Initially, I was freaked out by the (imaginary) whiff of the goat who’d kindly donated his hair to help my cheekbones. 

But it’s got just the right angle to help even a dummy like me contour, and great density of hairs.

Eyes

L-R angled eye colour, eye crease, smudge.
I love a defined eye, and I’ve narrowed these three Laura Mercier brushes down to my favourites.

The angled eye colour is densely packed and broad enough to cover my lids with a single colour in one fell swoop. I generally use this with to give a base colour, 99% of the time using either Foxy or Walk of Shame from my Urban Decay naked basics palette.

The eye crease is the perfect shape to get into your socket and really give depth during a smokey eye.  And the tip is tapered to help you not make a mess of that outer corner.

And for me, no eye is complete without eyeliner – enter the best smokey eye tool ever!

The smudge is a stiff, domed brush that is great for creating a dark eye that Kristin Stewart would be proud of.  I use it to soften my UD 24/7 eyeliners, or to go over a kohl with a shadow.

Extra special mention to..


I have a love/hate relationship with my Inglot 27TG.

It’s a duo fibre brush, a mix of taklon and goat

It’s in its element if I’ve put on too much base and feel cakey – a quick sweep over my face in circular motions and everything’s perfectly blended and much more like ‘real’ skin.

BUT...

It sheds hair.  So I’m picking black hairs off my face, and the first couple of times I washed it the colour ran.

So so divided over this brush.

If anyone else has it let me know if you’ve the same problem!!

3 comments:

  1. I really need to get that mac blush brush.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Real Techniques brushes! Need some new eye make-up brushes, good tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colour of this brush set! Its girly & fun. They sound like great value for money.money. Wao what an amazing collection. It reminds me of the brushes my sister bought from tinyurl.com/professionalmakeupbrushset they are extremely amazing but she is not giving to me for carrying to my home... :(
    Can you please give some discount over it. Me also want to buy it....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave a comment or email me on belfastbeautylove@yahoo.com